Each month, I post a detailed review of the progress I have made in that particular month towards my 2017 goals. These posts are intended to provide insight on what I do to achieve my personal goals. My hope is that you will be inspired to take action towards your own goals by reading these reports.
June 2017 Biggest Wins
- Moved back to Denver, CO and got settled into a new house.
- Made $2,800 in sales over the course of 10 days using Facebook and odd jobs.
- Recorded 7 new episodes of The Coach K Show podcast for season 2.
- Hired a French teacher.
June 2017 Biggest Losses
This was a hectic month, but no real losses. I spent a large chunk of my savings getting moved into my new place.
“Big 3” Goals For July 2017
- Pick up 2 new clients.
- Finish putting together HPHQ (coming soon).
- Receive a second weekly paid writing opportunity with a platform of 1m+ followers on Facebook.
By December 31, 2017…
1. Fill my coaching practice to capacity with contracted clients.
“Full” usually represents 4-6 paying clients. With 2 on the books expiring soon, I’m pretty much wide open these next few months to take on 1:1 clients. If you’re interested, sign up for a discovery call. First 2 sessions are free.
2. 2x teaching income with paid coaching clients (either paid to date or contracted).
Well on my way to this goal. I’ve passed the one year mark of being unemployed as of this month. Through the halfway point of the year, I’ve set up 3 separate streams of monthly income that generate slightly over 100% of my teaching salary.
Needing some extra cash this month, I put together a side hustle challenge that resulted in $2,800 in sales in less than two weeks. I plan to continue this little side hustle until I find a sponsor for the blog or podcast- simply easier than ending up in a hole each month because of what it takes to run everything. If you know of anyone that might be interested in sponsorship, please reach out to me via email.
I’ll be putting together a post on how I generated $2,800 in 2 weeks soon.
3. Release a second product, service, or course that functions as another stream of passive income.
Other than writing, this is the thing I’m going to be most focused on in my business for the remainder of 2017. With grad school on the horizon, it makes a lot more sense for me to automate and scale the coaching I’m doing.
I spent a lot of May/June working through the WordPress side of building a membership website. I’ve learned a lot, but quite frankly am excited to be building courses.
HPHQ is going to be unbelievably valuable for anyone looking to achieve big at work and in their personal lives. I’m very excited to launch.
4. Become a paid writer.
I achieved this goal in March when Goalcast hired me as a regular contributor.
5. Get hired as a teacher for the 2017-18 school year.
I achieved this goal in April when I was hired back on a part-time basis to teach middle school in the fall.
Some people leave the working world and never look back. Personally, I’m very excited to balance the two. I’ll run my business in the morning, and be in the trenches helping kids in the afternoons.
1. Finalize list and submit applications for grad schools (beginning fall of 2018).
To this point, I’ve only picked the 5 schools I will be applying to.
The Coach K Show Platform
By December 31, 2017…
1.Release 35 podcast episodes.
Recorded 7 episodes during the month of June. There is a new feel to season 2 that is really exciting. I’ve had an opportunity to interview some great people. Expect the first episode to air in August.
I did a great interview with Elle Russ who works with Mark Sisson at the Primal Blueprint. Elle was kind enough to hook me up with a swag bag of Primal goodies.
2. Build and release The Coach K Show Spoon-Fed platform with 35 resources for new episodes.
This was an idea that I will blend into HPHQ. It will still be free, but I need some time to see what it will be like before I write on it further.
3. 50,000 or more downloads.
18,612 downloads to date. Once new episodes start rolling, this should go up.
19 articles posted on Goalcast
2 on Soulspring
0 on Medium
21/50 articles published.
1. 5,000 or more followers.
When Instagress was removed from the platform I more or less gave up on Instagram. In 2016, Instagram worked wonders for new reach. I even gained a new coaching client right before I left for Europe. We’ll see what happens with this.
YouTube and other platforms
I’m open to a lot of growth on other platforms this year, but have learned from negative experiences about overcommitting. Whatever happens on other social media platforms will be a bonus.
To be updated.
By December 31, 2017…
1.Reach level 20 or higher on Duolingo in French.
I went from level 11 to 13 and finished the Duolingo French tree at the beginning of June. I’ve kept my streak alive since but am not working too hard to get level 20 at the moment.
2. Take a minimum of 3 personal French lessons.
I hired a French coach off iTalki but accidentally wrote the wrong time down for our first lesson and missed it. Our first lesson will take place next week.
- Read or listen to 30 new books.
- Elon Musk- Ashlee Vance
- The 48 Laws of Power- Robert Greene
- All Away and Right At Once- Greg Brenneman
- The Coaching Habit: Say More, & Do Less
- Meditations- Marcus Aurelius
- The Inner Game of Work- Timothy Gallwey
- Myers Briggs INTJ Workbook
1. Attend first professional conference or workshop.
I’ll likely be attending this in October down in Orlando.
2. Acquire 3 new business or entrepreneurial mentors.
1 out of 3 here. Monthly call that has been so impactful for my own personal development.
1. Move back to Denver, CO.
Drove across the country solo (don’t recommend it) and got settled back into the city I’ve lived in since 2014. Feels good to be back after 8 months of living and traveling all over the place.
2. Travel to 3 new U.S. cities.
- Saratoga Springs, NY
- Morgantown, WV
- St. Louis, MO
- New York, New York
Spent a weekend in Staten Island for a wedding in June. More to come.
3. Book a ticket for summer 2018 to an out-of-country destination (TBD).
Still haven’t decided where this will be. I will likely decide once I know my options for grad school.
By December 31, 2017…
1. Front squat 400lbs or more.
I hit a 335 front squat at the beginning of the month. Need to put in some work for this.
2. Deadlift 550lbs.
3. Bench press 300lbs or more.
I hit a lifetime PR at 275. This should fall with the amount of benching I’m currently doing.
4. Run 1-mile time trial in under 6 minutes.
2 time trials in June- 6:18 and 6:28. With a few more tries, I’ll (unfortunately) do this one again.
5. Achieve goal bodyweight of 195lbs.
Currently sitting around 212lbs.
Thanks for reading my June 2017 Goals Report. Until next month!
– Coach K