Ben Kissam’s November 2017 Goals Report
Welcome to my November 2017 Goals Report!
Each month, I post a detailed review of the progress I have made in that particular month towards my 2017 goals. These posts are intended to provide insight on what I do to achieve my personal goals. My hope is that you will be inspired to take action towards your own goals by reading these reports.
November 2017 Biggest Wins
- Made $510 working odd jobs.
- Flag football team finished season 6-1 and won division trophy (first as a coach).
- Launched new-media website design for The Coach K Show.
- Submitted final applications for 2 PhD Sport Psychology programs.
November 2017 Biggest Losses
- Getting let go from Goalcast.
By December 31, 2017…
1. Fill my coaching practice to capacity with contracted clients.
As I wrote last month, my business has changed a lot since January. This goal has been achieved, just not the way I imagined it would.
70% of my monthly income is from coaching and writing.
2. 2x teaching income with paid coaching clients (either paid to date or contracted).
As I wrote last month, my business has changed a lot since January. 70% of my monthly income is from coaching and writing. Because I am only teaching part-time, I’ve passed the 2x rate significantly.
Currently, I make money 7 different ways:
- Teaching middle school PE
- Coaching CrossFit
- Coaching sports
- Personal coaching
- Freelance writing
- Odd jobs
- Book sales
3. Release a second product, service, or course that functions as another stream of passive income.
Again, I was riding the “Tim Ferriss” metric of success earlier this year. For some reason, “passive” income was the goal. It isn’t anymore.
Looking forward to putting new goals in place for 2018 in December as these ones are pretty outdated.
4. Become a paid writer.
This was achieved in March when Goalcast hired me as a regular contributor in May 2017. I’m up to 4 paid writing gigs as of this month.
Of note, I was let go by Goalcast after 6 months due to the fluid nature of their business in November. Goalcast opened other doors for me, so this isn’t a big deal. It’s an example of the possibly volatile nature of being self-employed.
5. Get hired as a teacher for the 2017-18 school year.
I achieved this goal in April when I was hired back on a part-time basis to teach middle school in the fall.
1. Finalize list and submit applications for grad schools (beginning fall of 2018).
Chose to skip the GRE, instead highlighting professional accomplishments in my submissions. I put over 30 hours into the 2 applications I submitted, but it’s no longer in my control.
Now, we wait.
The Coach K Show Platform
By December 31, 2017…
1.Release 35 podcast episodes.
8 episodes into season 2, we’re at 42 episodes total. This goal has been achieved.
Season 2 recap:
- EP35: “Upleveling” A Life or Business w/ Heather Gray
- EP36: What It Means To Be A Man w/ Ryan Michler
- EP37: Overcoming Adversity with Faith and Discipline w/ Bella Picard
- EP38: Secrets of A Magical Speaker w/ Davide Di Giorgio
- EP39: Winning The Mental Game w/ Mike Margolies
- EP40: Training Mindset and Improving Performance w/ Matt Pendola
- EP41: On MASS II, Stress & Forming New Habits w/ Dr. Pat Davidson
- EP42: How To Lose Weight & Improve Thyroid Health w/ Elle Russ
Podcast available here:
2. Build and release The Coach K Show Spoon-Fed platform with 35 resources for new episodes.
Building the list up. Have a lot going on right now and this has not been a priority.
3. 50,000 or more downloads.
23,485 downloads to date.
- 35 articles posted on Goalcast
- 2 on Soulspring
- 4 on Medium
- 3 on BoredTeachers
- 1 on Fearless Motivation
- 1 on Collective-Evolution
- 1 on Athletic Muscle
- 3 on Goals.com
50/50 articles published.
There are actually about 70, but some are ghostwritten and/or mediums I’m not interested in sharing on here.
1. 5,000 or more followers.
When Instagress was removed from the platform I more or less gave up on Instagram. In 2016, Instagram worked wonders for new reach. I even gained a new coaching client right before I left for Europe. We’ll see what happens with this.
YouTube and other platforms
I’m open to a lot of growth on other platforms this year but have learned from negative experiences about overcommitting. Whatever happens on other social media platforms will be a bonus.
To be updated.
By December 31, 2017…
1.Reach level 20 or higher on Duolingo in French.
Still on 13.
2. Take a minimum of 3 personal French lessons.
I started taking lessons in November 2017. So far, I’m 5 sessions into German lessons and enjoying it. My teacher is challenging and assigns homework, which has pushed me to this point.
I found learning French easier, but there’s a good possibility I will need the ability to speak German in the next year.
- Read or listen to 30 new books.
- Elon Musk- Ashlee Vance
- The 48 Laws of Power- Robert Greene
- All Away and Right At Once- Greg Brenneman
- The Coaching Habit: Say More, & Do Less
- Meditations- Marcus Aurelius
- The Inner Game of Work- Timothy Gallwey
- Myers Briggs INTJ Workbook
- Payoff by Dan Arieli
1. Attend first professional conference or workshop.
This is not going to happen, unfortunately. Realistically, it’s November 2017 already and the end of the year is upon us. I haven’t booked anything.
2. Acquire 3 new business or entrepreneurial mentors.
2 out of 3 still. Will take care of this in December.
1. Move back to Denver, CO.
Drove across the country solo (don’t recommend it) and got settled back into the city I’ve lived in since 2014. Feels good to be back after 8 months of living and traveling all over the place.
2. Travel to 3 new U.S. cities.
- Saratoga Springs, NY
- Morgantown, WV
- St. Louis, MO
- New York, New York
3. Book a ticket for summer 2018 to an out-of-country destination (TBD).
Still haven’t decided where this will be. I will likely decide once I know my options for grad school.
By December 31, 2017…
1. Front squat 400lbs or more.
Hit a 325lb front squat during the month of October. Have not surpassed that since.
Taking a little hiatus from CrossFit at the moment because I hurt my wrist. Have been running MASS II in the meantime, which has been very challenging. I like that it’s only 4 days a week and takes an hour to complete.
2. Deadlift 550lbs.
Doubt this one will happen, but we will see.
3. Bench press 300lbs or more.
I’m able to routinely hit 275 for a single now. Benching hasn’t been a priority as of late.
4. Run 1-mile time trial in under 6 minutes.
Ugh, not looking forward to doing this in December.
5. Achieve goal bodyweight of 195lbs.
Thanks for reading my November 2017 Goals Report. Until next month!
– Coach K